Sharing information is one of the most important things we can do to foster growth and economic freedom as we cultivate the ecosystem for a new economy. If you have resources you’d like to share with us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ve broken our resources down into these categories for easy navigation
Local Investing and Community Capital
- Slow Money
- Investing as if food, farms and fertility mattered
- Business Alliance for Local Living Economies
- Think Local First of Washtenaw County
- Our Local BALLE Chapter
- Michigan Alliance of Timebanks
- Information on time banks (and what those are) in Michigan
- Lion Investing
- A model for creating opportunities for entrepreneurs to meet potential investors
- Currently the most popular Crowdfunding website
- The next most popular Crowdfunding website
- American Sustainable Business Council
- For information about recently passed Crowdfunding legislation
- ChangeXchange NW
- A resource for communities in the US Northwest. Our goal is to bolster local economies by connecting the dots between socially-minded investors and locally-owned businesses.
- Seacoast Local
- A resource for communities in the US Northeast. They provide opportunities for people to connect, share ideas, and get involved in building an economy that is more local, green and fair.
- Small business lending that is affordable, easy, fast and social.
- Localstake connects investors with local businesses looking to raise capital. Investors can connect, research, invest, and stay updated with local businesses, all on the Localstake platform.
- Fundrise democratizes investment in
local real estate and businesses.
Books We Like
, by Amy Cortese - Check out this award-winning journalist who writes for The New York Times, Business Week, Mother Jones, Portfolio, and The Daily Beast. The Locavesting site is a source of ongoing coverage of the local investing landscape.
- Local Dollars, Local Sense
, by Michael Shuman - A great follow up summary of the local investing scene as things have progressed
Back to top ⇑
Impact Investing and Social Entrepreneurship
- Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty. It only takes $25 to get started.
- Mission Markets
- Mission Markets provides investors access to a variety of sustainable and impact investment opportunities.
Books We Like
, by Gino Wickman - Based on his years of real-world experience, Gino developed the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS), a practical method for helping companies achieve greatness. In the past twelve years, he has personally delivered over 1300 full-day sessions with over 120 companies. The EOS Tools are being used by over 4000 companies worldwide (including Reconsider and Revalue!).
- E-Myth Revisited
, by Michael Gerber - Originally published in 1995. This is the book to have in your back pocket when starting a business; it explains the difference between working in the business and working on the business.
- Owning Our Future: The Emerging Ownership Revolution
, by Marjorie Kelly - A wonderful look at how creating a generative economy out of the ashes of an extractive one will require generative models of ownership at the private company level
- The Solution Revolution
, by Eggers and Macmillan - The Solution Revolution explores how public and private are converging to form the Solution Economy. By examining scores of examples, Eggers and Macmillan reveal the fundamentals of this new - globally prevalent - economic and social order.
Back to top ⇑
The Financial System
- The most reputable source for real-time precious metals pricing
- Financial Sense
- A great site for commentary from experts all over the world about the monetary system, gold and silver, commodities, and the financial news of the day
- Chris Martenson
- Chris is one of our most well respected colleagues in the industry who has been teaching people about the challenges we now face for the last 10 years, his Crash Course web videos are entertaining, informative and a great place to start
- Jim Sinclair
- The blog of one of the leading experts in the precious metals industry, a great resource for commentary on breaking financial news
- Shadow Stats
- There’s government reported statistics, and then there’s the truth. John Williams compiles stats on unemployment, inflation, money supply, and a ton more using the methods the government used to use before they started tinkering with the formulas
- Ludwig Von Mises Institute
- There are many schools of economics. If you’re familiar with them you know that most people debate the Austrians vs. the Keynsians. Ludwig Von Mises founded the Austrian school of economics, and we like what he had to say
- Dave Ramsey
- We’ve had many clients over the years who paid down their debts using Dave Ramsey’s simple snow ball technique
- If it weren’t important, there wouldn’t be billboards all over town directing you to the site. Our biggest threat to supplies in the Midwest is weather, not a zombie apocalypse. Either way, readiness is real, practical, and important.
- The only legitimate government approved free credit reporting website
- FINRA Broker Check
- Go here to pull a background check on your financial advisor, and to get more consumer safety information from the industry regulators
- Money 101: Top Resources for Finance Majors
- This is a comprehensive listing of 101 intriguing websites and blogs for everything relating to finance.
Books We Like
- Rich Dad Poor Dad
, by Robert Kiyosaki - A classic read and a great place to start for any family or new business owner.
- The Creature from Jekyll Island
, by G. Edward Griffin - A detailed and riveting historical look at the rise of our monetary system, how the bankers took over 100 years ago, and what this means going forward.
Back to top ⇑
Cool People doing Cool Things in the Great Lakes Region
- Growing Hope
- They run the Downtown Ypsilanti Farmer’s Market on Tuesday afternoons, and work hard creating access to healthy foods in part by teaching people how to grow their own food
- Washtenaw County Food Hub
- Now the home of several local vendors
- If you’re in Metro Detroit and you’re an entrepreneur, consider getting your voice heard at this open mic slam where you have 5 minutes to tell your story
- Edible Pubications
- There are dozens of Edible Community magazines all over the country that are putting a spotlight on what and who’s happening in your local food market; find your local magazine (Michigan has EdibleWOW)
- Motor City Connect
- Connect with business owners all over Metro Detroit at mixers hosted by members
- Michigan Corps
- The Michigan Corps platform and initiatives meet Michiganders where they are and empower citizens to use the web and more to lead change in our home state.
- D:hive is a physical store front in Detroit’s central business district that connects you with the tools and resources you need to live, work or engage in the city.
- The Michigan Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC) has four teams of consultants to provide services to Michigan’s existing, growing, technology-based and start-up companies. - See more at: http://misbtdc.org/#sthash.CW0FwpP4.dpuf
- Ann Arbor Spark
- Spark is an organization dedicated to the economic prosperity of the greater Ann Arbor region. We use our skills and knowledge to attract, develop, strengthen, and invest in driving industries to help our region thrive.
- The Community Economic Development Association of Michigan (CEDAM) provides advocacy, resources and training to organizations working to create vibrant communities. If you help your community, we can help you.
- Mission Throttle
- Mission Throttle is developing innovative concepts and creating business tools to accelerate the pace of philanthropy and positive social change.
- The Great Lakes Entrepreneur’s Quest is an engine for the formation of new, high-growth companies in Michigan.
- Northern Initiatives
- Northern Initiatives, a Community Development Financial Institution, delivers loans and business services to small business owners and entrepreneurs who create jobs and enable the people and communities of Northern Michigan to thrive.
- Fund Lansing
- Their mission is to accelerate the entire Lansing region into one of the nation’s leading and most exciting economic engines, full of diverse opportunities to create wealth, investment, jobs, innovation, and ideas for the benefit of all. This site serves as an aggregation of all crowdfunding campaigns in the Lansing area.
Back to top ⇑
Cool People doing Cool Things Outside the Great Lakes
- Real Time Farms
- A locator site that allows you to search for local food and farmer’s markets in your area
- A project sprouted out of Slow Money, where you pre-pay for your food purchases
- B Labs
- The genesis of the B Corporation legislation push, and of B Certifications which have grown to nearly 600 in 3 years
- B Corporation Legal Status state-by-state
- Check on your state; Michigan is pending
- Alex Jones’ Infowars
- If you’re concerned about a run-away tyrannical world government, this is the guy to listen to; visit his site daily for breaking news updates and check out his documentaries released over the last 15 years for a fire hose of information.
Back to top ⇑